Saturday

A Tip for Temptation

A Tip for Temptation
By Joe Martinez


Sorry guys,

I know its been a while since I've written anything. I can always make excuses, but I'd be more productucive if I were to just start writing, right?

Anyway, I have a tip for you guys.

I've been listening to some cds by Jason Evert who works over with Catholic Answers (www.catholic.com) and I learned an awesome strategy for dealing with things.

You ever been in a really tempting situation?

Like, let's be honest, you ever hanging out with your boyfriend or girlfriend, and you find yourself about five minutes from doing somme crap you said you weren't going to do again?

Or guys (Girls, skip this part a sec), let's say you're trying to kick that habit. Let's say you know what habit I'm talking about (because right now I'm not talking about drugs or alcohol and this habit sometimes involves a computer.)

Girls, you can come back now.

Maybe you're habit is drugs or alcohol and you find yourself really tempted.

What do you do when you're in that moment and you find yourself ready to plunge over the edge into sin? Well, what Jason suggests is offering up your temptation to God. He expalins it like this, "If I were to tell you, 'Don't think of an elephant. Everyone DOn't think of an elephant. Whatever you do, DO NOT think of an elephant ok?' What did you just do? THink of an elephant right?" He goes on to explain that when you're being tempted by something, simply telling yourself to not think of it will not work. In fact, it will never work.

Instead, invoke the name of God.

Let's imagine I'm a guy who has cheated on an ex-girlfriend in the past (hence the ex-). I have promised myself and my future girlfriend that I will never do it again. Oh crap, but ahead of me is this bombshell babe. No! Don't think of her. Don't think of her. <-----That's not going to help.

Instead...

I see her, and think-- "God, I am very tempted right now by this girl, who is very beautiful (it's key to use clean language in prayer), I offer this temptation up to you so that you might make my heart pure. Please let me have eyes only for my girlfriend.

And I promise, that if you do this enough, your heart WILL be made pure.

And this doesn't just work with purity..

"Jesus, right now I really want to go buy some beer, but I don't want to get involved in that again. But I'm really tempted right now, God. Help me, God. I offer this temptation up to you. Make my body clean so that I do not crave alcohol anymore because of what has happened to me.

Or whatever you're struggling with.

God doesn't ever give you more than you can handle. And he will always give you help in breaking through temptation. All you have to do is ask.

--Joe Martinez

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 PM

    Nice topic! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring topic!Thanks for this one. Yeah right temptations are everywhere and the best way to deal with it is to ask God for His guidance and He will do the rest. Just like when you are tempted to cheat to your girlfriend, it's up to you if you will let temptation ruined you and not just that it will also ruin your relationship. So boys and girls think 100 times before indulging in any temptations and be sure not to regret it.

    ReplyDelete